Monday, April 19, 2010

First week of dad-dom

From the number of pictures I've posted to Facebook, most of you probably already know that Keely gave birth to our first child over a week ago, Kieran Murray Finkelstein.  Since I'm not stuck in Europe due to ash, there's no excuse for ignoring the blog...

Our baby's due date was April 4th, so by April 5th when he still hadn't arrived, our doctor decided we should get induced, but we would have to wait a week, until the 12th.  As late as the afternoon of the 10th, it seemed like it would take an induction to get the party started.  But, after dinner on the 10th (at Cheddars, so I don't think any spicy foods were in play), Keely started feeling some regular contractions, but still at 6-7 minutes apart.  Our doctor told us not to come to the hospital until they were 3-5 minutes apart, so we watched a movie (well, me and Jolene, Keely's mom did, I think Keely was pretty distracted).  After the movie Keely and I finished packing our bag for the hospital, but by 2am, things hadn't changed much, so we went to bed.

I woke up at 6am, and saw that Keely was in the bathroom.  I checked her phone (which we were using to time contractions - I think Apple needs to use this as one of their "there's an app for that" commercials), and saw that her last few contractions had been 2:30 apart!  I decided it was well past time to go to the hospital, so we gathered everything up and drove the 10 minutes to St. Joseph's Regional Health Center, in Bryan, TX, arriving at 7am.

The emergency room was empty, so it wasn't long before our nurse had Keely examined and admitted to a labor and delivery room.  Thats when the real waiting began.  From 7am to 1:30pm, Keely only dilated an additional 2cm to 6 total.  At that time, our doctor decided to help speed things along by breaking the water.  This made the contractions more intense, which was also more difficult for Keely since she was doing all this without any pain meds!  Eventually, by 4:15 pm, she was far enough along to be allowed to push, and at 4:48pm, our baby boy was born.  It wasn't without complication - because things proceeded so fast at the end, he dropped down quickly and ended up having the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck two times, so he came out blue.  But he quickly turned pink (really quickly, only 10 seconds or so), I cut the cord, and within minutes, he was safely resting on Keely.

He went to get measured, and we found out that he was 7 lb 9 oz (average or so) and 21.25" (very tall!).  We spent two nights in the hospital, and Keely was allowed to come home on April 12th, where Keely's mom and my parents helped us care for Kieran, and more importantly made Keely and I food.  I had the stomach flu for the next two days (not fun), so I wasn't too much help, but as of now, we're all doing great.  We could still use some more sleep, but he is on average sleeping 2.5-3 hours at a time, so thats doable.

As he does more interesting things, I'll write some more posts.  Right now all he does is eat, sleep, cry (not too much), pee on his own head (on average once per day) and poop (not on his own head, but there's still time).


  1. Love reading your blogs and will so look forward to Kieran updates through the eyes of his father.

  2. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. obat darah tinggi More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift. obat radang paru paru